Research Lab Specialist
RESEARCH AND TEACHING
2018 – Research Lab Specialist University of Michigan
2017 – 18 Associate Research Scientist LDEO Columbia University
2016 – 17 Postdoctoral Research Scientist LDEO, Columbia University
2014 – 16 Postdoctoral Fellow LDEO, Columbia University
2014 Visiting Faculty Lecturer, Oceans San Francisco State University
2012 – 13 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellow Autonomous University of Barcelona
Ph.D. (August 2012) Earth and Planetary Sciences; Field work in Eastern Pacific, North Pacific, California coast, etc.
University of California Santa Cruz (Santa Cruz, CA) 2006-2012
Advisors: Christina Ravelo, Paul Koch
Dissertation: Pacific Ocean Pleistocene and Holocene surface temperature variability and implications for climate change
B.A., Geology, magna cum laude; Field work in Italy, Dominican Republic, Southern California, North Pacific
Carleton College (Northfield, MN) 2002-2006
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND SKILLS
- Oceanography, Climatology, past climate change, ENSO variability
- Sedimentology, Stratigraphic Correlation, Geochronology
- Sea-surface temperature reconstructions using stable isotopes (δ18O), molecular biomarkers (lipid ketones), and trace element (Mg, Ca, etc) geochemistry
- Carbon cycle and pCO2 reconstruction via boron isotope (δ11B)
- Data analysis and interpretation using MATLAB, R, GIS-style Ocean Data View, etc.
- Data visualization using Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Excel, etc
2016 Co-PI on Climate and Life Award to host pCO2 conference ($10,000)
2014 EAR Postdoctoral Fellowship (NSF – $174,000)
2012 Departmental Graduate Fellow, Earth and Planetary Sciences, UCSC ($5,000)
2010-2011 Consortium for Ocean Leadership – Schlanger Ocean Drilling Program Fellow ($28,000)
2010 Outstanding Presentation Award, International Conference on Paleoceanography
2009 CDELSI (Center for the Dynamics and Evolution of the Land-Sea Interface) Research Award ($1,500)
2008 Honorable Mention, NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
2006-2007 CDELSI Research Fellowship ($15,000)
2006 Duncan Stewart Fellow, Carleton College
- Mass spectrometers, plasma spectrometers, use and maintenance, clean rooms, lab management
- Quantitative data analysis, interpretation, and visualization
- Invited speaker at PAGES Warmer Worlds workshop, Lessons from Paleoclimate for a possible 1.5-2ºC warmer world in the future (April, 2017, Bern, Switzerland)
- Co-organized Cenozoic paleo-CO2 conference (March, 2017, Palisades, NY)
- Chaired American Geophysical Union session: Phanerozoic Temperature and pCO2 at Fall Meeting (2016, San Francisco, CA)
- Attended the Professional Development Workshop for NSF Postdoctoral Researchers and teaching workshop with Steven Pollock (2016, Boulder, CO)
- Teaching for a Diverse Student Body Symposium, 2015
- Presentations for local student Career Days, 2015
- 2014 – 16 Interviewed NYC Earth Science teacher candidates for Math for America fellowships
- 2014 – 16 Columbia University Postdoctoral Society, governance body for postdoctoral scientists
- Contributed content for Columbia University’s Earth Institute blog
- Geoscience Leadership Symposium, Washington DC (2013). Attended this weeklong workshop, met with members of Congress to discuss Earth Science issues, met with NSF staff members to discuss future proposals
- Volunteer work, weekly mentoring for local middle-school students, 2010-present.
- Reviewed 2-3 proposals per year for National Science Foundation, 2013-2014
- Judged Regional High School Science Fair, Santa Cruz County Science Fair, 2012
- American Geophysical Union annual meeting presenter: 2007-2015
- Oceanography cruise aboard RV Knorr 195-5 in eastern Pacific, Spring 2009
- Coordinated interdepartmental acquisition of new instrumentation, New Wave Micromill, Fall 2008
- Submarine paleo-coral sampling aboard HURL (Hawaii Undersea Research Lab), Fall 2006
- Taught environmental science curriculum to local grade-school students, (volunteer) 2003-06.
- Oceanography cruise aboard SSV Robert C. Seamans in north Pacific, Spring 2004
RESEARCH ARTICLES AND CITATIONS
Peer-reviewed publications (Contact me for non-commercial-use copies of published work)
Braun, K., Bar-Matthews, M., Zahn, R., Matthews, A., Avner, A., Cowling, R. M., Karkanas, P., Fisher, E., Zilberman, T., Dyez, K., Marean, C. W. A record of climate and environment between 463 and 41 ka from speleothem stable isotopic compositions at Pinnacle Point on the South African coast. Quaternary Research.
Fischer, H., Meissner, K., Mix, A., et al., including Dyez, K. Palaeoclimate constraints on the impact of a 2 ºC anthropogenic warming and beyond (2018). Nature Geoscience. 25 June.
Haynes, L., Hönisch, B., Dyez, K., Eggins, S., Holland, K., Rosenthal, Y., Fish, C., Subhas, A. Calibration of the B/Ca proxy in the planktic foraminifer Orbulina universa to Paleocene seawater conditions (2017) Paleoceanography, 32.
Dyez, K. A., Ravelo, A. C., Mix, A. C. (2016) Evaluating drivers of Pleistocene eastern Pacific sea surface temperature. Paleoceanography.
Dyez, K. A., Zahn, R., Hall, I. R. (2014) Multi-centennial Agulhas leakage variability and links to North Atlantic climate during the past 80,000 years. Paleoceanography, 29.
Dyez, K. A., Ravelo, A. C. (2014) Dynamical changes in the tropical Pacific warm pool and zonal SST gradient during the Pleistocene. Geophysical Research Letters, 41, 21, 7626-7633.
Dyez, K. A., Ravelo, A. C., (2013) Late Pleistocene tropical Pacific temperature sensitivity to radiative greenhouse gases. Geology, 41, 1.
Schlung, S. A., Ravelo, A. C., Aiello, I. W., Andreasen, D. H., Cook. M. S., Dyez, K. A., Guilderson, T. P., LaRiviere, J. P., Stroynowski, Z. (2012) Millenial-scale climate change and intermediate water circulation in the Bering Sea from 90 ka: A high-resolution record from IODP Site U1340. Paleoceanography, 28, 54-57.
Ford, H. L., Schellenberg, S. A., Becker, B. J., Deutschman, D. L., Dyck, K. A., Koch, P. L. (2010) Evaluating the skeletal chemistry of Mytilus californianus as a temperature proxy: Effects of microenvironment and ontogeny. Paleoceanography, 25. 27 January 2010.
Dyez, K. A., Hönisch, B., Schmidt, G. Early Pleistocene obliquity-scale pCO2 variability at ~1.5 million years ago.
Dyez, K. A., Koch, P., Ford, H., Schellenberg, S., Newsome, S., Hylkema, M. Mollusk geochemical records show stable late Holocene climate on the central California coast.
Dyez, K. A. (2016) Microfossil d11B as a proxy for orbital-scale pCO2 change in the early Pleistocene. Geological Society of America Annual Meeting. Denver, CO.
Dyez, K. A., Hönisch, B. (2015) Climate sensitivity derived from orbital-scale, d11B-based pCO2 estimates in the early Pleistocene, ~1.5 Ma. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting. San Francisco, CA.
Dyez, K. A. (2015) Tropical Pacific Ocean surface temperature variability in the Pleistocene. Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory.
Dyez, K. A., Zahn, R., Hall, I. R. (2014) Linking Agulhas Leakage Variability and North Atlantic Climate MIS 1-5e. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
Braun, K., Bar-Matthews, M., Ayalon, A., Marean, CW, Zahn, R., Dyez, K., Matthews, A. (2014) Terrestrial paleoclimate of Southern South Africa and the influence of Southern Hemisphere climate forcing. Climate Change: The Karst Record VII (KR7) Melbourne, Australia.
Dyez, K. A. and Zahn, R. (2013) Records of surface temperature and salinity show Agulhas leakage variability from the past ~80,000 years. International Conference on Paleoceanography, Sitges, Spain.
Dyez, K. A. and Zahn, R. (2013) Surface Temperature and Salinity of the Agulhas Bank over the past Glacial Cycle. GATEWAYS conference: Jerusalem, Israel.
Dyez, K. A. and Ravelo, A. C. (2012) Constraining tropical climate sensitivity: the need for improved Mg/Ca calibrations. Session Talk. Goldschmidt Conference, Montreal, Canada.
Dyck, K. A., Ravelo, A. C., (2011) Pleistocene tropical Pacific temperature sensitivity to radiative greenhouse gas forcing. Session Talk. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
Dyck, K. A. (2011) Western Pacific warm pool temperature sensitivity to climate change. for the US Advisory Committee for Scientific Ocean Drilling (USAC). Washington, DC.
Dyck, K. A., Ravelo, A. C., Mix., A. (2010) Tropical Pacific SST Patterns, Controls, and Effects. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
Dyck, K. A., Ravelo, A. C., Mix, A. (2010) Glacial-interglacial Surface Temperature Variability in the Eastern Tropical Pacific. International Conference on Paleoceanography, San Diego, CA.
Dyck, K. A. (2010) Glacial-interglacial Sea-Surface Temperature Variability in the Tropical Pacific. Invited Talk. UCSC Graduate Symposium, Santa Cruz, CA.
Dyck, K. A., Ravelo, A. C., Etourneau, J., Blanz, T. (2009) Glacial-interglacial sea-surface temperature (SST) variability in the eastern tropical Pacific: spatial patters from the late Pleistocene to present. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
Dyck, K. A. (2008) Mid-Holocene climate variability and coastal upwelling: geochemical evidence from the California mussel. Technical Session talk. Geological Society of America, Houston, TX.
Dyck, K., Koch, P., Schellenberg, S., Ford., H. (2007) Mid-Holocene climate variability and coastal upwelling: geochemical evidence from Mytilus californianus. American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
Dyck, K. A. (2006) High-resolution d18O, d13C and taphonomy records from Acropora cervicornis coral and implications for mid-Holocene climate: Las Clavellinas, Dominican Republic. Senior Thesis. Bound for internal reference, Carleton College, Northfield, MN.